Common Concerns: When To Consult a Pediatrician
posted: Dec. 24, 2023.
Children get sick, and you hope the illness goes away. Some illnesses go away on their own, but what if it doesn’t? It’s always a difficult decision about when your child needs professional care. Your pediatrician can help. The pediatricians at Decatur Pediatric Group offer comprehensive pediatric medical care. They have three convenient office locations in Clarkston, Smyrna, and Lithonia, GA.
What You Need To Know About Common Medical Issues in Children
Fever is one of the most common concerns because a fever can indicate an infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics. You should consult your pediatrician if your child has a fever which:
- Has lasted longer than 2 days
- Is higher than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit if your child is under 2 months
- Is at least 104 degrees Fahrenheit if your child is older
Fever is just one sign of infection, but there are others. You should also consult your pediatrician if you notice your child is:
- Tugging at the ears, which may indicate an ear infection
- Wiping the eyes, which can appear red, watery, or itchy
- Having difficulty swallowing, which could be a sign of strep throat
You should also consult with our pediatrician if:
- Your child is having trouble breathing, which could indicate asthma
- Your child is vomiting, which could indicate a gastrointestinal problem
- Your child has a skin rash that isn’t going away or is getting worse, which could indicate an allergy
- Your child is experiencing chronic diarrhea or constipation, which could indicate a gastrointestinal problem
So, what about accidents or injuries? They are a common occurrence with an active child. Consult your pediatrician if your child:
- Has experienced an injury to the face or head
- Is experiencing severe pain
- Has severe swelling or bruising
- Has dislocated, fractured, or broken bones
Our pediatrician is an expert in children’s healthcare, so don’t hesitate to call your pediatrician if you have questions or concerns about your child’s health.
Want To Know More?
To learn more about common childhood illnesses and when to visit the pediatrician, call the pediatricians at Decatur Pediatric Group. You can reach them in Clarkston, Smyrna, or Lithonia, GA, by calling (404) 296-7133, so call today.